Monday 29 January 2018

Broadchurch - Erin Kelly

photo courtesy:goodreads.com
A whodunnit set in a coastal town.

I remember seeing trailers for this series on ITV but missed it for some reason. So a chance to catch with its book version was so welcome! It was only after catching up with the book, that I realised what I had missed out on. Since I won't be able to compare it with its TV counterpart, a standalone book review this will be.

Gist:

The book opens like a screenplay, with a set of characters introduced in random situations in the first few pages. It is very easy to visualise the story unfolding albeit, a bit confusing. Once the story is set, the characters come together and it all ties in.

Eleven-year-old Danny Latimer is found dead on the beach in the coastal town of Broadchurch. At the police station, DI Ellie Miller finds out that she has been passed over for a promotion. Danny was her son Tom's close friend. She will have to work with new-to-the-town DI Alec Hardy to investigate the murder. DI Hardy feels that her knowing the murdered child will cloud her judgement. But Miller feels she can make inroads into the community the way Hardy never can. She dislikes Hardy at first sight. Can they work together and figure out the murderer?

What works:
  • The characters are so well etched. It takes a while to figure how they are all connected but then they are characters with distinct characteristics.
  • The sleepy coastal town is brought to life so well. A look at the last page shows where Broadchurch was actually based - Dorset.
  • The writing. I reckon it can be hard to work with established settings and characters but the narrative really breathes life into the story. The caption suggests that there is some additional material for those who have already watched the series. But for me who hasn't, it was great.
  • It is a gripping story that I could easily lose myself in. I don't remember the last time I was so eager to get into my bed at night. The plot moves fast and the insight into the characters is reminiscent of Elizabeth George's  novels. Love it. 
What doesn't:
  • I suppose considering that those already seen the series needed to get something extra and therefore reference to extra material. It offers a very detailed insight into the minds of the characters. It doesn't hamper the story telling for me, but it seemed like too much effort was going into it.

Overall a great story and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading the second installment of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment